The City of O’Fallon offers a Sewer Lateral Insurance Program that provides assistance for the repair of the sewer laterals that connect each residence to public sewers. The program covers all residents of the City of O’Fallon and is administered by O’Fallon Water and Sewer. The program is funded by residents through a $5 annual fee that is paid when you pay your property taxes.
Typical Residential Water and Sewer Connections
Click image to enlarge the illustration.
What do I do if I think I have a problem?
The first step is to submit the application and hold harmless agreement along with your last year’s paid Real Estate tax receipt, and a $300.00 application fee. The City contractor will perform a video inspection of the sewer lateral. The video inspection is needed to verify the nature and location of the defect.
If the problem is deemed to be covered by the Sewer Lateral Insurance Program, your application fee will be refunded. To provide a higher level of service to our residents, the City has secured a Contractor to perform all phases involved with the program. Services may include video inspection, lateral line location and repairs, if the defect is eligible under the program.
Once the work is completed, the City will issue payment to the contractor and your security deposit will be refunded.
Application and Important Information
- Informational pamphlet (PDF)
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral Application (PDF) - includes Sewer Lateral Release Hold Harmless Agreement and Sewer Lateral Repair Policy Program. All documents must be completed and signed.
- Repairs to private sewer laterals from the exterior building foundation wall to the public sewer main
- Required street, sidewalk, or driveway pavement replacement
- Yard repair
- Permits and administrative costs
- Repair, relocation or damage to structures, retaining walls, swimming pools, sprinkler systems, electronic dog fences, and landscaping
- Damage caused by sewer lateral backup
- Damage caused by contractor’s performance outside of scope of work.
- Repairs or videos performed prior to applying into the program
- Root Intrusion
What if the repairs do not qualify for the program?
If a defect is not eligible for the program, the balance of the application fee will be refunded to the homeowner and the homeowner will receive a DVD of the video inspection. This DVD may be used to assist the homeowner and other professionals in resolving the issue.
Contact Water and Sewer staff