In April 2009, the voters in the City of O’Fallon passed a Sewer Lateral Insurance Program that provides assistance for the repair of the sewer laterals that connect each residence to public sewers. The program covers all residents of the City of O’Fallon and is administered by O’Fallon Water and Sewer. The program is funded by residents through a $6 annual fee that is paid when you pay your property taxes.
What do I do if I think I have a problem?
The first step is to submit the application and hold harmless agreement along with your last year’s paid Real Estate tax receipt, and a $300.00 application fee. The City contractor will perform a video inspection of the sewer lateral. The video inspection is needed to verify the nature and location of the defect.
If the problem is deemed to be covered by the Sewer Lateral Insurance Program, your application fee will be refunded and you will be provided a bid package to use in obtaining three bids. The bids will be returned to the City for review; the City will approve the lowest qualified bid. The City will then authorize you to execute an agreement with the selected contractor. The City will issue a permit and inspect the repair work.
Once the work is completed, the City will issue payment to the homeowner and contractor.
Application and Important Information
- Informational pamphlet (PDF)
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral application (PDF) - includes Release Hold Harmless Agreement and Repair Policy, too. All documents much be completed and signed.
- Repairs to private sewer laterals from the exterior building foundation wall to the public sewer main
- Required street, sidewalk, or driveway pavement replacement
- Sod for yard repair
- Permits and administrative costs
- Repair, relocation or damage to structures, retaining walls, swimming pools, sprinkler systems, electronic dog fences, and landscaping
- Damage caused by sewer lateral backup
- Damage caused by contractor’s performance outside of scope of work.
- Repairs or videos performed prior to applying into the program
- Root Intrusion
What if the repairs do not qualify for the program?
If a defect is not eligible for the program, the balance of the application fee will be refunded to the homeowner and the homeowner will receive a DVD of the video inspection. This DVD may be used to assist the homeowner and other professionals in resolving the issue.
Contact Water and Sewer staff