O'Fallon Police Explorers
Police Explorer Post 2943 provides area youth with the opportunity to learn the career of a police officer and to develop leaders within our community through this integral part of the O’Fallon Police Department. The Post is comprised of members 14½ to 20 years of age interested in learning more law enforcement careers. Explorers are provided with opportunities to find out more about policing and their community while assisting the police department’s various community events.
The Explorer Program is a year-round program. Explorer Post members are expected to attend all regularly scheduled meetings which are primarily held every other Monday at 6:00 p.m. Members receive basic instruction in various phases of law enforcement including criminal law, traffic law, criminal investigation, crime prevention, traffic control and direction, accident investigation, juvenile delinquency, and other related topics which are integral parts of law enforcement.
Explorers are required to participate in the numerous details performed by the Post, usually in the areas of traffic direction, security, and communications. Participation is also encouraged for Post activities including field trips (training, team building, etc.), camping trips, multi-post multi-regional training seminars, and the ride-along program, etc.
Explorers are governed by a Manual of Rules and Regulations. Uniforms are required by all members with part of the uniform supplied by the Post and part purchased by the individual member after an the Explorer completes an introductory period in the Post.
Goals and objectives
- To serve as a recruitment tool for future men and women in law enforcement
- To serve a community relations effort in the County between police, youth and the community
- To be utilized as volunteers within the O’Fallon Police Department
- To develop and uphold the basic objectives of the Explorer Program as sponsored through the Exploring/Learning for Life Division of the Boy Scouts of America and through the contribution of the police to the Explorer in three areas: character building, leadership development and an appreciation for community services and good citizenship
Requirements for membership
To be eligible for membership in the O’Fallon Explorer Program, a candidate must:
- Have completed the 8th grade and be between ages 14½ to 20
- Have no felony convictions
- Be a responsible citizen with a good reputation and good moral character
- Be willing to contribute a great deal of time to the Post
- Attend all Post meetings, details and events
- Maintain a "C" average in school
- Have transportation to and from meetings, details, events and/or any other Explorer functions
- Pass an intensive background check completed by the O’Fallon Police Department
- Have parental consent, including signatures of the Explorers and their parents on a general liability release form. This includes successfully completing the application
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States at the time of their application
Upon completion of application procedures and acceptance into the Program, the new member is placed on a three (3) month probation period. Successful completion of the probationary period allows the member to advance towards full membership privileges within the program.
As an Explorer, members are:
- Required to spend at least 6 hours per month or more with “on the job training” within the O’Fallon Police Department, whether it is working in the Precincts, Bureaus, and or the community.
- Expected to maintain the highest level of integrity, both during the program and personal time. Explorers violating the guidelines set forth by the program will be handled accordingly.
- Expected to attend all regularly scheduled meetings, held every other Monday at 6:00 p.m., (except for holidays or unless otherwise noted) and are required to participate in the numerous details performed by the Post, including traffic direction, security and communications. Participation is also encouraged for field trips (training, team building, etc.), camping trips, multi-post multi-regional training seminars, the ride-along program and more.
How to Join
Want to join the O’Fallon Police Explorers Post 2943? We are always looking for those who want to join us!
If you are interested in joining or attending a meeting to find out further information, please contact Officer Andy Lubiewski at email@example.com or 636-240-3200.
Reasons to Join
Thinking about a career in Law Enforcement?
Here are some reasons to join O’Fallon Police Explorer Post 2943!
- 11 Active Police Explorers involved in the Post. Currently the youngest is 15 and the oldest is 20. FZ North, West and South are represented. UMSL and SCCC are also represented.
- An entry on an employment resume saying you were involved in Exploring gives you an advantage over other job seekers
- Meetings are every other Monday at 6:00 p.m., excluding holidays
- Post members are involved in a variety of activities in addition to Explorers including, football, cross country and track.
- People involved in the post benefit not only from the things they learn about a career, but also from leadership skills developed through their involvement
- Members gain rank advancement through their involvement and testing on police career knowledge learned during meetings
- In addition to meetings, members get the opportunity to ride-a-long with officers after receiving required training.
- The post as a whole, contribute over 3100 hours each year assisting in various activities through the community. Each member is required to participate monthly in activities outside of meetings.
- Post members are given the opportunity to participate in bi-annual conferences out of state and bi-annual police explorer academies.
- Increased scholarship opportunities through 'Exploring.'
- Past members have gone on to careers in and out of police work and are better prepared should they seek a career in law enforcement.