The City of O’Fallon utilizes “single stream recycling” which allows residents to place ALL of their recyclable items into ONE container.
If you signed up for recycling in the past, you may have a split container; however, you no longer have to separate your items. Simply fill the container up with acceptable items on both sides. If you’ve just signed up for the program, a container for your usage will be delivered to your residence within a few days.
The following list of recyclables is acceptable for pick-up:
- Aluminum cans, trays and foil
- Aseptic packaging and gable top containers (milk and juice cartons)
- Steel cans and tins
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic containers:
- #1 PET such as soda, water and flavored beverage bottles
- #2 HDPE such as milk and juice jugs, detergent and fabric softener containers
- #3 PVC containers only such as health and beauty aid products, household cleaners
- #4 LDPE grocery containers such as margarine tubs, frozen dessert cups, six and twelve pack rings
- #5 PP grocery containers (yogurt cups, syrup and ketchup bottles)
- #7 plastic containers
- Plastic buckets such as kitty litter buckets (5-gallon maximum size)
- Newspaper, including inserts
- Kraft bags
- Magazines, catalogs and telephone books
- Office, notebook, school, gift wrap and computer paper
- Chipboard such as cereal, cake, food, gift boxes, etc.
- Carrier stock, such as soda, beer can carrying cases
- Mail and junk mail including envelopes
- Paperback books and manuals (No hard cover, please)
These items are NOT ACCEPTED:
- Hazardous materials
- Plastic grocery bags
- Plastic film, sheets, tarps, etc.
- Polystyrene (styrofoam)
For your convenience, you may dispose of recyclables in a plastic trash bag in the recycling container.
For more information on the single stream recycling program, please contact the Environmental Services Department at 636-272-0477.