T.R. Hughes Blvd. to Woodlawn Ave.,
including the Highway K/Main Street interchange
Have you experienced congested intersections and delays on I-70 through O’Fallon? This project is working to improve the interchange at I-70 and Highway K/Main Street, relieve congestion on Highway K near I-70, help traffic flow better from T.R. Hughes Blvd through Woodlawn Avenue, and make travel safer and more efficient and improve air quality.
Over the past 10 years, traffic along the I-70 and Highway K/Main Street corridors in O’Fallon has been increasing at a dramatic rate. If this is not addressed, growth will have a significant impact on O’Fallon’s quality of life. The interchange at I-70 and Highway K/Main Street has become an even greater challenge, with the number of traffic signals causing significant backups during most of the day.
Phase 1 of this project will focus on the area from T.R. Hughes to Main/Hwy. K, which is the largest portion of the project. Phase 2 will focus on the area west of K to Woodlawn. Both phases of the project will add a new eastbound one-way south outer road between Route K/Main Street and Woodlawn and then continuing on to T.R. Hughes Blvd. Construction began in May 2018 and continues through October 2019.
Important points with this stage of construction:
The I-70 Outer Road contractor has modified the ramps along the I-70 corridor. The two new slip ramps along East Terra have opened and the original exit ramp from westbound 70 to the Main Street/Highway K interchange were removed from service. All westbound traffic exiting I-70 for Main Street/Highway K is now exiting at the new slip ramp, just west of the TR Hughes interchange. The new on-ramp also is open near the Sonderen overpass.
- Work on the south outer road also continues and should be completed in the coming weeks.
Overall Project Exhibits
- Project overview (Phase 1 and Phase 2) (PDF)
- Contractor's schedule (PDF)
- Phase 1 construction plans (PDF)
Phase 2 Schedule (Dates are tentative)
- Right-of-Way Acquisition – April 2018 – November 2018
- Final Plans – December 2018
- Bid for Construction – February 2019
Phase 2 Project Exhibits
- Project Overview (Phase 2 only) (PDF)
- Public Hearing Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Public Hearing Comment Form (PDF)
Phase 2 Milestones Completed
- Preliminary Plan Sheets (PDF) (PDF)
- Amended Categorical Exclusion Report approved by Federal Highway - January 2018 (PDF)
Route Maps (PDFs)
- Route 1: I-70 Westbound to Highway K/Main St.
- Route 2: Highway K to I-70 Westbound
- Route 3: Highway K to Woodlawn Ave.
- Route 4: Main Street to McDonald Lane
- Route 5: Hilltop Subdivision to I-70 Eastbound
- Route 6: Hilltop Subdivision to I-70 Westbound
- Route 7: I-70 Westbound to Hilltop Subdivision
- Route 8: I-70 Eastbound to Hilltop Subdivision
- Route 9a: Main Street to West Terra Businesses
- Route 9b: Woodlawn Ave. to West Terra Businesses
- Route 10a: I-70 Westbound to East Terra Businesses
- Route 10b: I-70 Eastbound to East Terra Businesses
- Route 10c: East Terra Businesses to I-70 Eastbound
- Route 10d: East Terra Businesses to I-70 Westbound
Contact Engineering staff