T.R. Hughes Blvd. to Woodlawn Ave.,
including the Highway K/Main Street interchange
Have you experienced congested intersections and delays on I-70 through O’Fallon? This project is working to improve the interchange at I-70 and Highway K/Main Street, relieve congestion on Highway K near I-70, help traffic flow better from T.R. Hughes Blvd through Woodlawn Avenue, and make travel safer and more efficient and improve air quality.
Over the past 10 years, traffic along the I-70 and Highway K/Main Street corridors in O’Fallon has been increasing at a dramatic rate. If this is not addressed, growth will have a significant impact on O’Fallon’s quality of life. The interchange at I-70 and Highway K/Main Street has become an even greater challenge, with the number of traffic signals causing significant backups during most of the day.
Phase 1 of this project will focus on the area from T.R. Hughes to Main/Hwy. K, which is the largest portion of the project. Phase 2 will focus on the area west of K to Woodlawn. Both phases of the project will add a new eastbound one-way south outer road between Route K/Main Street and Woodlawn and then continuing on to T.R. Hughes Blvd. Construction began in May 2018 and continues through October 2019.
If you have questions or concerns about this project, please contact Vicky Usery at 636-379-5596.
Important points with this stage of construction:
- MoDOT has closed the T.R. Hughes ramp to westbound I-70. The ramp will be relocated as part of the I-70 improvement project going on between T.R. Hughes and Route K. The new, relocated ramp will reopen later this year. Drivers can detour around the ramp closure by either taking the I-70 North Outer Road (East Terra) to Route K or taking Mexico to Route K. Please allow yourself extra time while using these detour routes as the extra traffic could cause delays.
- Work on the south outer road also continues and should be completed before the end of this year.
- Thank you for everyone’s cooperation in mitigating the traffic this summer. We had several meetings with the Fort Zumwalt School District and Economic Development also provided helpful updates to the businesses along the corridor.
Overall Project Exhibits
- Project Overview (Phase 1 and Phase 2) (PDF)
- Contractor's schedule (PDF)
- East Terra detour and traffic plans (PDF)
Phase 2 Schedule (Dates are tentative)
- Right-of-Way Acquisition – April 2018 – November 2018
- Final Plans – November 2018
- Bid for Construction – January 2019
Phase 2 Project Exhibits
- Project Overview (Phase 2 only) (PDF)
- Public Hearing Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Public Hearing Comment Form (PDF)
Phase 2 Milestones Completed
- Preliminary Plan Sheets (PDF) (PDF)
- Amended Categorical Exclusion Report approved by Federal Highway - January 2018 (PDF)
Route Maps (PDFs)
- Route 1: I-70 Westbound to Highway K/Main St.
- Route 2: Highway K to I-70 Westbound
- Route 3: Highway K to Woodlawn Ave.
- Route 4: Main Street to McDonald Lane
- Route 5: Hilltop Subdivision to I-70 Eastbound
- Route 6: Hilltop Subdivision to I-70 Westbound
- Route 7: I-70 Westbound to Hilltop Subdivision
- Route 8: I-70 Eastbound to Hilltop Subdivision
- Route 9a: Main Street to West Terra Businesses
- Route 9b: Woodlawn Ave. to West Terra Businesses
- Route 10a: I-70 Westbound to East Terra Businesses
- Route 10b: I-70 Eastbound to East Terra Businesses
- Route 10c: East Terra Businesses to I-70 Eastbound
- Route 10d: East Terra Businesses to I-70 Westbound
Find out more about the I-70 Improvement Project through O'Fallon.